Monday, June 16, 2008

A Switch

Well, I've decided to jump into the world of FLAC. FLAC is a super high quality audio format that is completely open source and thus well loved by the Linux community and somewhat hated by large corporations like Microsoft and Apple.

That's right everybody's favorite liberal popular computer builders are just as much a big evil corporation as Microsoft, in many ways much more so. In fact it seems to mean that a big evil corporation is, in fact, a very liberal idea-what with the centralized power. Now, I'm not saying that I hate big evil corporations and we need to take down the man at all. I just want people to wake up and realize what's really going on.

As far as my own view on big evil corporations, I add the evil only a somewhat satirical nod to public perception. We need large corporations, certainly. They have the resources to accomplish things that could otherwise never be achieved. Please remember that things like mass production lower cost. However, I think that large corporations, like the government, just has no business (Har Har Har) in certain aspects of my life.

There are a number of restrictions that are inherent to large organizations that are simply unnecessary, most of which I will probably talk about some other time. But for now back to FLAC. If I feel like FLAC is the best format for me-there is no reason that my music should no be in such a format. I should get to pick this sort of detail and what's more I should be able to easily covert my music into said format.

Now this is where the twist comes in-The shoulds from the last paragraph are exactly how it is.
The world operates in the correct fashion on this one-I feel like using this format and I can and it doesn't cost me anything but time to convert the music I have legally to this format. -Side Note-I've been converting for almost seven hours now. Not everyone supports this format but again that's how it should be. Everybody shouldn't be forced to use this format just because some people like it.

Now some of you folk out that might be craving upheaval may be asking, well what about the popular players that force you to use formats like AAC or Mp3 or WMA and for that matter what about those formats not being open source so that anybody can use them. Well as far as them not being open source for the average person that doesn't matter at all because there are plenty of safe, free, and easy to use programs out there to convert to such formats. And if a popular player forces you to use a format you don't like, get a different player.

This is a great point that many people (especially Democrats) don't seem to understand. Just because everybody else does something, doesn't mean I have to or that it has to work for me. You can never ever make a system that will work for everybody, rather everybody simply needs a common interface that allows them to work together, the implementation of how things are accomplished must be left up to individuals. I'll leave this one there.

But in all, Apple need to stop pretending to be an underdog corporation fighting against Microsoft's evil controlling ways. People need to realize that Microsoft did a lot of good for the world and allowed people to use computers-your average user could never figure out Linux and Mac Os simply does not interface broadly enough to be practical. Apple is just as evil and controlling (probably more so) what with it's whole computer as a single piece you can upgrade anything by yourself outlook. I direct you to the Lt.'s blog on this one.

FLAC is awesome, but I have a lot of converting to do, it takes up more disk space, and I will need a new portable player (I'm looking at the Cowon D2) if I wish to take FLAC along. But I can still convert FLAC to the more widely used Mp3 so that's not an immediate requirement. However, along those lines, if anyone would like to buy a 30GB white zune....

Well, I leave you all for now, I shall most like blog again soon about something or other.

No comments: