Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wow

Ok, so today we got a lot done. We being Paul and I. We settled basically all the apartment stuff taken care of, the only things that are left are figuring out what ISP we want to use and we have to pay. But we have to pay after we decided between NTC and version because if we chose NTC we pay $30 more on the rent instead of version were we have a seperate bill. Version is currently winning the debate. But after we figure that out, we need to call and let the apartment people know then we need to pay the rest of the security deposit and the first month's rent-which will have to be done through money order, so I'll have to figure out how to do that.

But other than that today in class we learned how to actually build some of the functions and things that we been learning about the math and theory behind for so very long. It's a little crazy how we spend so much time learning about how stuff works and then when we learn how to actually build or implement one of the processes or functions that we've design everyone in the room goes into super focus mode.

It's like we've been starving for this knowledge for so long that we absolutely don't want to miss a word of it, enough though we all know how about tons of resources that we could visit and use our background knowledge to figure it out. I guess that's part of engineering though, the thirst to be able to use your knowledge to actually make something instead of just talking about. The recognition that you must understand the background of exactly why this stuff works before you can truly design a system to complete some task.

I mean I'm a only going to my third year in Electrical Engineering and I already know exactlly how a lot of stuff works. It's nice to know how to build it, but I still am able to respect how important it is to know what you're build and why it does the things it does. I mean if I'm to design new things I can't do everything just the way that other people did, I have to be able to figured new ways of doing this based on a solid knowledge of the stuff works by itself.

But all in all I just wanted to point out how striking it was that as soon as we started to learn how to implement the functions that we've studied about for so long, the whole room just seemed to change in atmosphere.

No comments: